Sunday, August 2, 2020

Bicycling Nude?

The first time I ever saw anyone riding a bicycle with no clothes on was during the famous Fremont Solstice Parade in Seattle. During that event painted people festooned with all sorts of decoration ride bicycles of every description before the adoring crowds. There were mountain bikes, road racers, cruisers, tricycles, and unicycles--even skates and skateboards... but that's another story.

When I've had conversations with people that are "hopelessly textile" I have to constantly give them a figurative face slap when they ask this stupid question: "What about your goods? Doesn't everything get smashed when you're doing that?" I look at them in disbelief, followed by, "Now think about this--why the hell would not having clothes on make anything squish any different that it would if you had pants on?!" I mean really, people--how about a little common sense here.

Most people can only ride bicycles nude as long as they're out of the public eye, and that usually means on club property somewhere. Most clubs have plenty of well-maintained paths and roads around their properties, allowing club visitors to enjoy pedaling pretty much any kind of bicycle they want to ride. Because of the family atmosphere of most clubs, people tend to gravitate toward bicycles that allow them to mount baskets and carriers for kids or pets, and that would be the cruiser-style bicycles. Nudists also tend to be pretty laid-back folks, so ambling around the grounds at a relaxed pace is what we do anyway. It also has a little to do with the age demographic because so many nudists are folks over 50. Chances are you're not going to see any nudists speeding around and racing each other on their bikes.

Bicycle-riding is big with nudist families. Why wouldn't it be? If it's a family there are kids, and if there are kids there are bicycles!

Some nudists have more opportunities to ride naked where they live, and are able to take their bikes out on real trails. Maybe they are far enough out that they would have little or no chance of a problem encounter with the public. In places like that a mountain bike is the only kind of bicycle that really works. Folks that do that routinely tend to be younger and/or more athletic than I am. They might also be the type of person that' interested in it because it's something they hadn't done before... like the fellow in this article:


I'm not in good enough shape to be a mountain biker, let alone a naked one. I'm certainly receptive to the idea, though. After all, anything done naked allows the fun-meter turned up a tad more than usual. Remember some of those old stories we heard growing up like, "I had to walk 10 miles to school, and it was uphill both ways!" I'd rather live in a place where I could leave home on my bicycle, and coast all the way where I was going. In other words, downhill both ways. I'm more of the hiking type than the bicycling type.

You'd think that as much as I have ridden bicycles during my life that there would be at least one instance of me riding naked... especially given my inclination to be without clothing most of the time. I can't think of a single time. Sad, isn't it? I don't see that remaining the same for long, though. One of the things I bought after we picked up our motorhome was a bike carrier that locks into the trailer hitch receiver, so we will be taking our bicycles with us to the nudist parks of course. I guess I'd better start looking for the perfect seat cover. Cotton terry? Sheepskin?

I would just love to be able to walk out of the house here at home on a nice day, swing my leg over my bike, and pedal away, uncaring in any way about my nakedness except for the possibility of road rash if something goes wrong. Maybe in another lifetime. Sigh.

I got a little juxtaposition kick out of these two pictures because they're both from the same time period. The first shot from 1912 may very well be the earliest candid shot of someone riding a bike naked, who knows? I included this shot of the two "proper" ladies to show you a little comparison between the nudists and the more typically-dressed bicycle rider of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment