Monday, August 31, 2020

The End of Vacation

It sure seems weird to take a week off these days. It used to be that a person earned a vacation. We felt such a sense of excitement we couldn't wait for vacation to start. But, when you've had nothing but "off" since the virus took over our world it doesn't seem right to take a vacation. It almost felt like I was cheating.

I chose this week off for a reason: Nudestock. I always take a week off at the end of August because Nudestock always falls in that week of vacation. Not this year though. Too bad.

But it was a good week off nevertheless.

A couple cool things showed up for the motorhome this week: The first was a new sticker for the back. Anyone that has ever traveled in Europe knows that these oval stickers used to be required by those living there to identify their country of origin. Since the license plates over there started putting the country on the left side of the plates these stickers are no longer required. That doesn't stop people from romancing them though. I just thought it was a cool thing.

The other thing is a new AC/DC flat screen TV. The poor old motorhome still contained the 1999 technology, and that meant a 12-volt CRT television, and a 12-volt VCR. After I took the whole TV and cabinet out I figure I probably saved close to 50 pounds, considering the weight of the electronics and the particle board cabinet they were in. I'm still waiting for the new bracket to mount it to the wall though. The new power cord showed up already, so I was able to see how well it worked on 12 volts. I believe the new bracket will be here tomorrow.

I think my favorite thing about this "stay-cation" was being able to go anywhere I wanted to go during the middle of the day. For example, one day I found an ad for a good deal on a band saw, so we were able to drive up to the University district of Seattle and pick it up easily with regard to traffic and travel times. I could really get used to that. Now I can't wait to retire!

Wednesday of this week found us down in the middle of the state, in the area of Chehalis, where we went to visit my cousin Melinda and her husband, Danny. Brenda has had never met Danny, nor had she ever been to their ranch. We had a great time visiting and seeing all the critters. Ruby had her fill of big dogs after that visit too, having been surrounded by their overzealous Greyhounds, Whippets, and Border Collies all day long. Their dogs just couldn't get enough of "the new kid" and pestered her to death for most of the time we were there.

Back to work today. Well, if you can call walking into a different bedroom and spending the day in there "working." Pretty convenient though!



No comments:

Post a Comment